Thursday, June 21, 2007

Jackets from the Tentmakers

As a small teaser I thought I would put up a couple of photos of the back of the Hashim quilt. I used two dyed pieces - neither very interesting - to make the back. One was a failed attempt at a length I wanted to feel like a sandy beach - and one a pale mauve using up the last dregs of dye on a hot day when I had really lost interest in working any longer. I sewed them together, then cross cut them and flipped one - so it is a large fourpatch.

I like plain fabrics on backs as they show the drawing of the quilting process.

IMG_7046.JPG

I collected two jackets from the tentmakers. I ordered these ages ago and handed over the fabrics - the plain colours all from Australia, and the background for the cream one from Syria.

Neither is exactly what I had in mind. I worried about the blue as I saw it in the 'sewing on pattern shapes' stage and felt that the single drifting lotus pieces were very like extraordinarily large polka dots from a distance. Iwas not sure that large polka dots were a look I wanted. Made up it is better though, especially with the Syrian fabric lining.

The cream was supposed to have only a V of work at the top and on the back and perhaps down the sleeves a little. I drew this up and explained it, with translation. Three months later all this was obviously forgotten as it is covered in work. However - I love the design work. Faced with the glowing delight on the face of the old man who laboriously stitched it when I put it on and swirled in front of a mirror - I could not possibly have disappointed him with a negative comment of any kind. It is a bit worrying that there are many obvious pencil marks on the back where the design drifted a bit from its intended origins. I will try a pencil eraser - cross your fingers for me!

So - these are definite eye candy. This blue is a shortish jacket that I saw as quite casual - a bit more dressy with black pants, but alright too with jeans. Sorry about the bad focus - better ones will be done when I have time. I shot these not realising how blurred they were.

IMG_7032.JPGIMG_7031.JPG

And the cream one - longer and more evening-ish.

IMG_7024.JPG
IMG_7035.JPG

6 Comments:

Blogger Tonya Ricucci said...

your quilting is incredible and wow, those jackets. Both fabulous and nothing polka dotty to me.

6:16 pm  
Blogger Lindi said...

Jenny, I look forward to seeing the back of your quilt in full as much as the front. Your quilting is amazing. You really do draw the front, don't you.
I love the jackets, too. Maybe the artist in the tent maker took over and he just had to do what he felt was needed, despite your request! LOL We've probably all done that at some stage when doing commissioned work.
My fingers are crossed for the pencil eraser, but the work is so glorious, I don't think it would matter if they don't all come out.

10:53 pm  
Blogger Jo said...

I think the jackets, particularly the creme one, are fantastic! I would wear it in a heartbeat!

1:25 am  
Blogger Helen from Canberra said...

Hi Jenny,

Your quilting as usual is just amazing. Thanks to
you quilting is my very favourite part of making a quilt. The jackets are wonderful.

It was -4o in the ACT this morning and we are expecting a max of 12o. It is a glorious sunny, still morning.

8:45 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,
Your work is just great, can't find words to describe how wonderful it is.
May I ask if the jackets are sold anywhere?
Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations.

5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenny, the jackets are great. Can't wait to see the front of the Hashim quilt.

Suzy

11:33 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf