Saturday, September 04, 2010

Houston Class

I have a class that I will teach at Houston called Free Motion Quilting with a Starter Scrap". It is a bit of a mouthful but it means what it says.

I supply the 'scraps' in the class as a kit, and people bring cut pieces to go around it. They make a little quilt.

We have a practice session with patterns that I demonstrate on small spare quilt sandwiches. Then - they work on their pieces, going around the main shapes in their centres, and finishing flowers (or other things) where they have been cut off.

We extend the images by making more in other areas, and I teach simple ways to think through that, then pack in filler patterns (taught in the morning session) around them.

IMG_0817.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

I am posting images of the sort of piece this makes, and a few details. I have been greatly honoured to have been invited to be Bernina's artist of the year in Australia. That means that I demonstrate whatever I choose to do at shows all over Australia. I chose free motion quilting on the idea of a 'starter scrap' as many traditional quilters say that they cannot think where to start with free motion quilting - and most traditional quilts have little pieces of prints which have been cut.

These are little ones that I have done as demonstrations in the shows, and Bernina has no problems with the idea of me selling them. I bring them to Houston for sale. I have no idea what I might charge for these as they are so far away from my usual work - but I have flights and accommodation to pay for so I am keen to sell them. I have about fifteen pieces, plus some small quilts in the same style. Any suggestions? Please?

I have discovered that my very favourite thread is back - Mettler's Silk Finish (which is pure cotton) and there are so many stunning colours - so look at the little jewels I can make with these. It is lovely thread, soft and supple and it forms very firm stitches - and it does not coil off the reel like some cotton threads.


IMG_0822.JPG

IMG_0814.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG


IMG_0810.JPG


This is one of the three little quilts - simple pieces of Kaffe Fasset fabrics with a frame, and then put together as strippy quilts. These are what I think of as Lucky Dip quilts - I plan only to finish where images are cut off - and the rest is up to what people in the shows ask me to demonstrate for them. I like the fact that the quilts can look good with minimal planning. I show only four or five main patterns, all easy to teach and people can make them without drawing in advance.

SDC11419.JPG

It is faced not bound - and I am starting to realise that I love the look of a facing - it is so clean and modern.

Sorry about the horrible photographs. I have a good design wall but cannot get far enough away from it for good photographs without moving a very large table - so they look distorted. All are nicely square - I promise.

20 Comments:

Blogger Emma said...

What a brilliant idea! And so beautifully done! These are real inspiration.

3:04 pm  
Blogger Sue said...

I love this idea. You are so clever. I was truly inspired by listening to your talk at the craft show in Perth recently.

3:24 pm  
Blogger Nancy said...

Jenny, What a great way to teach free motion quilting. These little pieces are wonderful. I envy the folks going to Houston who will have a chance to purchase one of these little jewels.
What exquisite treasures you are creating. Good luck with sales at Houston. May you pay all your expenses with your work.
Nancy

11:47 pm  
Blogger Kathy said...

These are great little pieces and the idea is just so clever. It should be an amazing hit in Houston.

3:16 am  
Blogger Judy Rys said...

What a great way to get started with FMQ. Hope it goes well in Houston.

3:33 am  
Blogger Judy Warner said...

Wish I was going to Houston this year so I could take your class. I am sure I would pick up some good tips. Thanks for sharing. I don't have a real feel for pricing but will be interested to know what you do wind up selling any for.

8:36 am  
Blogger Victoria Findlay Wolfe said...

ooh! What fun! I need to see if I can get in. I'll be there!

12:07 pm  
Blogger Heather Lair said...

These are beautiful! I love the shadow border of another color around the printed sample. Good luck with the sales and the classes at Houston too!

3:29 am  
Blogger Janet said...

These are fantastic, I've just started trying out some fmq and now you've inspired me to try something I can keep. Is that ok for me to do that?

10:15 am  
Blogger Marika said...

Very good idea kind little duvets :)
I like it free pinning without all bindings freely .freedom the change of samples based on given mood and an idea .

4:44 am  
Anonymous Munaiba said...

What a clever idea. I love the way the fabric sort of bleeds into the quilting.

3:09 pm  
Blogger Leah said...

oh HEY thats really neat! my favorite is the second from the bottom, great colors and lines. sure wish i could be in houston this year!! have a great time!!

2:44 am  
Blogger Quinta da Quilter said...

I love them too!! Might have to have one please!! Have fun in Houston!
Garen

5:50 am  
Anonymous Yvonne said...

I think it is a great way to show off free motion quilting, which is quite a skill to learn I have found. It gives the crafter inspiration to start with and the quilting should "evolve" from there I think.
Congratulations!!

7:15 am  
Blogger Vivian said...

Found your post after Janet from the Quiltsalott blog (a prolific quilter in her own right) posted about it.

What a great way to practice free-motion designs! I could also see picking an interesting backing print and use that to try the "quilting from the back" technique. You've given me a lot of food for thought.

I hope you are able to sell all the beautiful pieces (shouldn't be a problem). Thank you for sharing a little bit of your class process. Those of us who are not in Australia really appreciate it!!

P.S. My word verification was "watelent". Even blogger knows "what a talent" you are!

10:35 pm  
Blogger Marit said...

Fantastic quilting! True art quilts!!!

12:02 am  
Anonymous Dina said...

You are truly talented & creative. I wish I had your skills. All beautiful quilts!

6:32 pm  
Blogger Nana said...

Wow, I am deeply impressed!!!

Nana from Germany

10:34 pm  
Anonymous Egypt tour said...

Very nice article

11:33 pm  
Anonymous Egypt packages said...

I'm sure that the last article. It is more interesting and very useful.
Most of the other compositions have been done to death.

I would be interested in seeing the flower idea. It might help many people get an idea of how to begin to step outside the "that's the way we always did it" box.

6:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf