Saturday, December 05, 2009

India and the "Untouchable" Village

I do know that the term is not currently considered appropriate. I could say something, like "the people previously known as untouchables, or Dalits - or whatever. The mere fact that there is a new term for the same group still implies a social status.

This village, near Udaipur, gave me the most joyous experience of my trip. I am being selfish in not giving its name as I would hate to see hundreds of tourists visiting there, and it would change the way the people relate to tourists. We were the first visitors since I was there in May. It is made of 'found' materials, except for some roofing tiles - stones and mud and mud brick and mud plaster.

In May I took a lot of photographs. It was late afternoon and the light was almost silvery, even though it was Summer. We had a few sweets for children but we hardly got out of the car and most of my photographs were taken through the car window. However, we had met some of the people on the road and photographed them with their animals. I had a big pile of prints to hand back, and I had asked the group to keep shampoos and toiletries from hotels for the women of the village.

It was cooler in November, and we made it our first stop of the day.

I think it is easier to simply add photographs and let those tell the stories.

IMG_7076.JPG

IMG_7078.JPG

Mr Sheik from Thomas Cook was our guide and can be contacted through Thomas Cook Udaipur if readers wish.

IMG_7081.JPGIMG_7086.JPG

IMG_7093.JPGIMG_7090.JPG

IMG_7097.JPG

IMG_7099.JPG

IMG_7107.JPGIMG_7101.JPG

IMG_7113.JPG

IMG_7122.JPG

IMG_7127.JPG

IMG_7137.JPG

IMG_7128.JPGIMG_7134.JPG

IMG_7139.JPG

IMG_7141.JPG

IMG_7143.JPGIMG_7150.JPG

IMG_7158.JPGIMG_7161.JPG

IMG_7155.JPG

IMG_7163.JPGIMG_7167.JPG

IMG_7174.JPG

IMG_7177.JPGIMG_7178.JPG


IMG_7187.JPGIMG_7192.JPG


IMG_7183.JPG

If you want to join me one day in India - you are very welcome.

This was just one morning of a very rich and wonderful day.

Check details on my website for the itinerary - though there may be changes from year to year. You can contact Stephanie or Nina at Impulse Travel in Sydney, Australia, and we work with Namish Sharma at Thomas Cook (TCI) in Delhi, India. If we have enough people we run the tour!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful photos, as always, Jenny. Tena x

7:15 pm  
Blogger Nola G said...

Jenny, the quality and clarity of your photographs is amazing. Could you tell me what camera you you use.
thanks
Nola

11:56 pm  
Blogger Rosemary@semo.net said...

Jenny, your photos show sensitivity, and a love for the people you capture on a photo; it shows in their expressions of love and curiosity returned to you. You capture wonderful moments, even with the camel. LOL Thanks for sharing these. Wish I could go with you, but not anytime soon.

1:14 am  
Blogger Martha Tsihlas said...

I work from home and reading your blog during my coffee break never fails to transport me to places very far away from Texas. The way you capture the essence (sp?) of people is magnificent. Thank you Jenny for taking us to places we may never visit.

5:47 am  
Blogger The WestCountryBuddha said...

Hello Jenny, I wondered if I could possibly use two of your photos to try and paint a likeness from please?? I'm trying to learn portraiture at the moment, and the photo of the old man,(the 12th one on your posting) and one of the woman right at the end (number 31) would make wonderful studies.

Thank you.

10:05 pm  
Blogger The WestCountryBuddha said...

Oh sorry! Contact on annabelrainbow at yahoo dot com. Thanks!

10:06 pm  
Anonymous Egypt tour said...

Very nice article about India

11:36 pm  
Anonymous Egypt vacation said...

I'm sure that the last article. It is more interesting and very useful.
Most of the other compositions have been done to death.

I would be interested in seeing the flower idea. It might help many people get an idea of how to begin to step outside the "that's the way we always did it" box.

6:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf