Monday, October 10, 2005

Breaking the fast

I must answer a comment that I cannot leave unanswered.

The tradition of Ramadan is that is it a time of cleansing.

Quarrels are sorted out and resolved, you start as healthy as you can make yourself, you pay debts before Ramadan starts, and you fast from the first light to the last light.

As the light fades in the evening there is a call to prayer from the mosques all over the country. This is the signal that the fast is over. At this time they break the fast – ‘breakfast’ (which they call Iftar – the opening) – in a traditional way.

I am not doing something wrong. I am only supplying the food for the breakfast. Otherwise my guards’ options are limited as they cannot leave their posts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kt said...

Hi Jen

The last couple of entries have been so interesting - thank you. I'm starting to wish we were coming a week earlier so we could catch the end of Ramadan!

The other night I met up with an old friend from school who has since rediscovered her Islamic faith and taken on the hijab. I was with her as the day's fasting came to an end - and it gave us a wonderful opportunity to talk about Ramadan, as well as the broader issues of how she, as a modern Assie/Egyptian woman, feels about being Muslim in Sydney today. To follow that wioth your blog posts has been great!

Our Egyptian visas arrived today - guess it's really happening!

4:25 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jenny, Thanks for the explanation. I was wondering how they got by for the month. Now it's clearer. Robin

3:48 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Artful Quilters Web Ring
Previous | Next | Random
Join | List
Powered by RingSurf